How to start repacking?

General discussion, how-to's, requests, etc.
Frano35

How to start repacking?

Postby Frano35 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:56 am

Hello people,

Im new to this forum and I would like to learn how to repack program installers or repack installed files into installer. All tips are wellcome :)

ricktendo
Site Admin

Re: How to start repacking?

Postby ricktendo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:18 am

Well it all depends on the installer:

- MSI installers you would use InstEd (this is the only tool you need really,) or Orca (from Microsoft SDK,) InstallShield and/or Advanced installer to edit then rebuild the installer (you can also edit these with vbs files.)
I started learning what to remove by downloading Shar007, yumeyao and other peoples msi repacks and comparing them using InstEd to see what was removed. I also use a couple vbs examples from dumpydooby, these help automate/batch the editing process.

- Inno Setup installers you would use a program like innounp to extract, you would then need to edit the iss file to remove/add any missing and or useless code from the file, this takes some experience and you can request help from us we can help with this.

- Nullsoft Installer System (NSIS) these cannot be repacked, best to take these and repack them as Inno by recording the reg entries and adding these with the files to your Inno setup.

Notes: Universal Extractor is your friend, some installers appear to be EXE files but these are merely setup stubs that extact and launch a MSI installer.

Return to “Discussion”